You need some time, but steps are super easy!
4 or ¼ NappaCabbage
3 hours (15 min prep)
Desserts / Snacks
Rate This Recipe!
About This Recipe
By: Noriko Shindo
After realizing how hard it was to pop into a supermarket and find Kimchi without any marine products (squid/shrimp intestines), I started making my own. Twice, I made a fermented one using authentic ingredients and process but realized a) I’m not a big fan of the smell it makes while fermenting (your house smells strongly of garlic and ginger), b) it takes at least a week before you can eat it, hence c) you cannot spontaneously eat plant-based kimchi at home. Then I started to experiment and tweak with vinegar and voila! A non-fermented kimchi that you can enjoy (granted you plan ahead 3 hours). Lasts about 1-2 weeks in the fridge.
- 1/4 Chinese Cabbage (白菜)
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Flakes / Red Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (Regular vinegar works too)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 cloves Ginger, grated
- 2 Teaspoons Doubanjiang (豆板醤 – found in any supermarket)
- 1 Tablespoon Salt (for washing)
Has some good potassium in this power dish – which helps to keep your blood pressure in check.
- Potassium (supports blood pressure, cardiovascular health, bone & muscle strength) 7% 7%
- Calcium (helps strengthen bones, heart, and muscles) 7% 7%
- Iron (Helps function of hemoglobin) 8% 8%
Step by Step Instructions
Cut up washed Chinese cabbage into bite size pieces in a large bowl, add salt, and mix thoroughly.
Press down with some weight and leave for 2 hours. We like to put a plate, pressed down by something heavy (like a bottle of wine) – see picture.
Wash with cold water, squeeze out the water well from the Chinese cabbage, and place in a Ziplock. A Tupperware will do but we prefer Ziplock as it’s easier to mix the paste in.
Mix all other ingredients in a small bowl, add to the Ziplock, close zip, and mix paste thoroughly until all the leaves are covered slightly in red.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before eating for best results. You can also eat immediately.